Try this easy homemade waffle recipe
I enjoy waffles, most people do, but I didn’t have any real need to have a recipe for it or an interest to develop one. That all changed when we went on a trip to Prague for a little honeymoon. I am not someone that likes the touristy stuff. I usually ask a waiter or a local where we need to go for the real experience (for us it’s all about food with some culture thrown in). This leads you down sometimes sketchy alleys where some of the best food can be found. In Prague, we got told about a little cafe that serves waffles appropriately named Coffee & Waffles.
In the Netherlands, we eat a lot of sweet waffles, which results in the waffle batter being sweet. If you’re not careful, this screws up the balance since you would put fruit or other sweet toppings on top. However, these ones had a more “neutral” sweetness, which gives you options like eggs Benedict as a topping, as well as lovely cream and berries. As a result, my perspective has changed on waffles. It got me to thinking of my recipes and creations with the waffle as more of a vehicle. Like the bun to a burger or the toast to a bruschetta. Equally as important but just not the solo star. So here, below is my recipe for the basic waffle batter.
Easy homemade waffle recipe
- Waffle iron / Waffle maker
- 270 ml Milk
- 3 Tablespoon Oil Sunflower preferred
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla aroma
- 190 Grams Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- ½ Tablespoon Baking powder
- ¼ Tablespoon Salt
- Turn on the waffle iron
- Mix the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla aroma
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Combine the two mixtures and mix till its a nice smooth batter
- Pour batter on the waffle iron and close the iron
- Let it bake for about 4.5 minutes
- The amount of batter needed per waffle and amount of cooking time will vary. Depending on what type of waffle iron you have. I suggest starting with less and building to the right amount of both amount and time.
- Try different types of toppings! We suggest (no limitations though!): fresh fruit, ice cream, whipped cream, maple syrup, some crunchy nuts.
- If you are a true foodie try savory waffles as well with a poached egg, crispy bacon, and some hollandaise sauce or avocado.