How to make your own pizza dough
Let’s talk pizza, yes, pizza. Not much of a reason to explain why I mean pizza is excellent. Lately, I have been asking everyone around me to name their top 5 favorite dishes. Pizza is well in the top 3 most named meals. Everyone has there favorite toppings but its pizza none the less. For me, it’s always been between two types of pizza namely Diavola and Quattro Formaggi.
Whatever your pizza is, it becomes much better when you make it yourself. Thankfully making pizza or pizza dough yourself is also pretty easy. It just takes a little time, some more attention, but mostly patience. I don’t know about you, but I always seem to lack at least two of the three. Here we will share the recipe for the pizza dough that works for us. You can find a post about baking the pizza here. Since I screwed up that part more often, then I care to admit.
- 750 grams Strong bread flour Type 00
- 250 grams Semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 grams Dried instant yeast
- 625 ml Lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoon Oliveoil
- 1 tablespoon Caster sugar golden if you want a little color
- Mix the yeast with the water, oil, and sugar. Let it sit for a few minutes to start frothing.
- Mix the flour types, and make a pile on a clean work surface.
- Make a well in the middle and spread the salt across the edge around the well. You want to avoid having the yeast come in contact with the salt right away.
- Pour the yeast mixture in to the well and slowly stir with a fork. While slowly taking more flour from the walls of the well.
- When it's starting to come a bit together start using your hand and knead the dough.
- Keep kneading till it becomes a smooth, springy, elastic dough. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- When you have a smooth dough. Lightly grease a big bowl and place the dough in it. Flour the top of the dough and cover the bowl with clingfilm. Set aside in a warm area.
- Let is prove or rise for about an hour or till it has doubled in size.
- When it has doubled in size. Knead the dough again for a bit to knock out some of the air.
- Divide into 6 equal pieces. you can use it right away or can wrap it in clingfilm and keep in the fridge or freezer.